View Slides: 2.1.5. Evaluate the Analogy
View the presentation that begins with
- Review Identifying the Problem
- Review 4-Box Method for Problem Specification
- Discuss using the 5 Key Points of Failure of the Design Problem with the Biological Analogue
- Is Biological Analogy a good fit for the Design Problem?
- Think about Scale
- Compare functions
- Compare environment
5 Key Failure Points
- Environment: Is there any difference in the environment that would cause the bio solution to not work for the problem?
- Material: Can I simulate the material?
- Scale (Performance): Does it operate at the same performance level?
- Scale (Size): Is it the same size as the solution requires?
- Function: Does it do what the problem needs to have done?
View Organizer: 2.1.2. Organism SFM and 4 Box - Grasshopper
The teacher will explain the importance of analyzing the appropriateness of the analogy between biology and nature. The teacher will explain that nature can inspire ideas without being directly related to the function of the idea and/or problem.
If your problem doesn't come from the bio - it is ok to say my bio understanding was misguided?
YES!- now you need to go find a better bio match: it can be better problem the system can address OR a different bio analogue.
What is your plan?